Facebook Name/ID Search Keeps Loading Endlessly

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM
When I type in a facebook account name in the Name/ID field it keeps showing the spinning loading symbol instead of displaying the possible account names. My internet connection is fine so that's not the problem. This just started happening out of the blue. Any ideas as to why this could be?
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Hello,

the fan page and group importers download networks for Facebook fan pages or groups so if you type in the search box a user's account name it won't find anything. If you are trying to analyze a fan page or group please specify the fan page/group name so I can try and debug.

Regards,
Arber
Jul 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I'm having the exact same issue with every name of every page I try to type. I even tried to enter the Page ID and it didn't work. Maybe it's due to an overload?
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Hello I´m having the same problem with the importer
Jul 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Hi, same problem here :(
Jul 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
idem with group ID 109450919091925 thanks
Jul 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Hello, i also have this very problem while trying to import data from any fan page whatsoever. I'm using NodeXL 1.0.1.245 with the Social Net Importer Version being 1.7.1.
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Hello all,

lately Facebook introduced some changes in their API and one of them is that we can not search anymore without first logging in. We will update the importer in the upcoming days and the UI will change a little bit in order to reflect this change: The fanpage Name/ID textbox will be inactive until you login. After successful login the textbox will be active and you can search for pages/groups. Be aware that you should specify the attributes and whether to get wall posts or status updates prior to login in order to request the appropriate permissions to the user.

Regards,
Arber
Jul 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM
When do you think the bug will be fixed?
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Hello,

we think by the end of the next week we will release the new version with this fix and some other new features. However there is an workaround: If you type in the textbox the ID of the fanpage it will work. If you open the fan page in the web browser you will notice some numbers in the URL. Those number are the fan page ID. If you copy them and paste in the Name/ID textbox you can then download the network. This is just a workaround and the search functionality will be back again.

Regards,
Arber
Aug 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I am experiencing the same issues described above. I have tried to copy the ID of the fanpage but it hasn't worked.
Nov 22, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Dear all, I am having a similar issue. The instalation was OK, but when running anny of the Facebook import options the initial screen cames up with a greyed Name/ID field. When selecting login or logout, a black windows pops up and it runs forever without doing anything. I am using my computer from work, so I suspect that there may be somethings blocking NodeXl script from runing freely. Any hints of what may be wrong in the environement?

Cheers, Gilson
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Hello all,

Facebook has made a change in their API and the number of results returned by the search is not limited anymore (before it was limited to 25) and this is the reason of the endlessly loading. In the next days we will release a new version in which will be included the fix.

Regards,
Arber
Dec 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Hi Not able to download from facebook......it gives an message that it could not be downloaded......This happens after it seems like the download is going on. Says there is an error in the network and out of memory
Coordinator
Dec 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Hello,

an OutOfMemory error means that the network you are trying to download is too big and Excel crashes. This is a Windows limitation, a process can not occupy more than 2GB of RAM if your system is 32-bit. Try to set the importer to get less data by specifying a smaller time range.

P.S. There is a new version of the importer. Try this one it may help you.

Regards,

Arber