Error when importing facebook data on step 3

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:54 AM

hi All,

i'm newbie here, 

please help me, i got an error message when importing facebook data, on step 3 (batch 42/42) download friends of friends data,

the error :

[NullReferenceException] : Object reference not set an instance of an object

anybody please help me to solve this error...

big thx to all :)

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Hi,

It seems like you have a lot of friends on Facebook. Can you please try again because sometime the servers are overloaded and you get this kind of messages. Also the error message is not complete, so in case you encounter it again please do the following to copy all the message:

1. Hit Ctrl+C when the error message appears

2. Create a new text document and open it with notepad

3. Hit Ctrl+V on the text document and the content of the dialog will be pasted.

4. Please paste the text here so we can debug

Regards,

Arber

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM

this is what happen when i tried to import fb data, some errors happen  in step 3 batch 42/42 ,:

first error :

[NullReferenceException] : Object reference not set an instance of an object 

I forgot the whole message, but this is the core of the error, there is one sentence before this sentence, but I forgot it.

when I tried it again, the above error did not appear again, instead another error occurs..

---------------------------FacebookImporter---------------------------The network couldn't be obtained.  Details:

[FacebookAPIException]: Not a valid JSON string.---------------------------OK   ---------------------------

both error appear unpredictable, sometimes the first, and sometimes another.

whether this is because too much data from friends who have taken?
if yes, how many friends approximate maximum?
whether it is possible this error arises because there are session time of access tokens? i'm not sure, 

i hope there are another version fix this error next, because i need to import fb data as my research data...

i wanna make an weighted graph , which is facebook user as the node, and there are some attributes as weighting unit,such as: location, mutual friend, and number of photo tagged in facebook. 

regards, raz

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Hi raz,

Normally on Facebook you can have a maximum of 5000 friends and with this importer you can import data for all of them.

However, some attributes may contain some illegal characters which are interpreted as formula by Excel or the JSON parser fails to parse them. I suggest you first try to get just the basic information for your friends (i.e unselect all the attributes) and then start adding them one by one so we can see where is the problem.

Regards,

Arber

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Arber thanks for the information.

I've did your suggestion above, I remove the check for all attributes, then try to select only one check, only check the attribut 'name', but in fact  this error still appears.

[NullReferenceException]: Object reference not set an instance of an object

whether there may be an errors in the file facebookimporter.dll?
I never succeed to import data facebook, but never got problem when importing twitter data.

thanks so much
regards, raz :)

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Hi,

I am also getting an error in stage 3. Why don't you make the process failsafe and just insert nulls or N/A when you catch an exceptoin?

---------------------------
FacebookImporter
The network couldn't be obtained.  Details:

[KeyNotFoundException]: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
OK  

Thank you for the tool.

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Hi raz,

Thank you very much for your reporting! The error is fixed and will not exist in the next version which we intend to release after 2 weeks.

Regards,

Arber

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM
younosnaga wrote:

Hi,

I am also getting an error in stage 3. Why don't you make the process failsafe and just insert nulls or N/A when you catch an exceptoin?

FacebookImporter
The network couldn't be obtained.  Details:

[KeyNotFoundException]: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
OK  

Thank you for the tool.

Hi,

Thanks for the reporting and the suggestion! We are sorry about the inconveniences, but the tool is still in beta version and we are fixing a lot of bugs.

Did you checked the "Include me" checkbox? In case you did, please try getting the data without checking it and see if it works.

Regards,

Arber

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:16 AM

---------------------------FacebookImporter---------------------------The network couldn't be obtained.  Details:

[FacebookAPIException]: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.---------------------------OK   ---------------------------

Hey there everybody this is the error I'm getting in stage three as well.  

Thought I should chime in my vote. Thanks for your help, and this tool is going to be awesome when I get it to work I bet.