Importing data from Facebook groups

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Edited Apr 8, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Hello! I have some questions about getting facebook groups information with NodeXL. I would be grateful if anybody could help me with answering my questions:
  1. I would like to understand the nature of information that NodeXL downloads from facebook groups. When I download the data of user-user network, what kind of connections is it - are they people involved in commenting and liking only, or there are post authors among them as well? Can anobody please answer or advice any source to read about that? Ive read chapters of the book "Analyzing Social Media Networks with NodeXL", but it seems that time NodeXL didnt have that function; on this web site I could find just the discussion about the modality of networks - but thats not my question. I exactly need to understand - in theory, should there be an author of the post in the network that NodeXL make from facebook group?
  2. When I try understand this question in practice by examing the data I really fail :-( Sometimes at some posts it looks like there is an author and other commenters who are linked in the way of the weighted edges - when A is a post author, B have a connection to him, C have a connection to A and B, C - to A, B, C, etc. In other posts it looks like there is no such rule. So the question is - what is the algoritm of data downloading from facebook groups__? Is it possible that the program doesnt get the whole set of posts and comments? Maybe Facebook settings dont allow NodeXL to get everything? The group Im trying to get data is an open one, and Im a member of it (in general it has 1085 users).
  3. In downloaded data sometimes some edges have weight of 1, others - of 2-3-4 etc. Similarly, it would be great to understand why and when it happens, because I can not make a rule from observng the data.
Without answering these questions I cant continue with my research. Now for me NodeXL is the only one source of importing the infromation from facebook, so I cant make a data array for analysis without it. Thats why I hope to get useful advice.

Thanks!