Facebook network import issues (version 1.5)

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I am still having difficulty importing my Facebook network.  I have downloaded 1.5 of the importer and get the following error.  While it looks as though the issue is coming from the Facebook end I am not sure if there is anything I can or should do to avoid this issue so would appreciate advice.

Thanks.

---------------------------
SocialNetImporter
The network couldn't be obtained. If the problem persists please copy the following message and report it to http://socialnetimporter.codeplex.com/discussions.

Details:

[FacebookAPIException]: This API call could not be completed due to resource limits

at Facebook.FacebookAPI.CallFQLMultiquery(Dictionary`2 queries, Dictionary`2 args)

at Facebook.FacebookAPI.ExecuteFQLMultiquery(Dictionary`2 queries)

at Smrf.NodeXL.GraphDataProviders.Facebook.FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.GetFriendsNetworkInternal(String sAccessToken, Boolean includeMe, Boolean getStatusUpdates, Boolean getWallPosts, Dictionary`2 attributes) in D:\NEO\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\NetworkAnalyzers\Facebook\FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.cs:line 515

at Smrf.NodeXL.GraphDataProviders.Facebook.FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.BackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) in D:\NEO\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\NetworkAnalyzers\Facebook\FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.cs:line 1525

at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)

at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
OK  

Coordinator
Aug 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Hello,

this is a new limit introduced recently by Facebook. We are still investigating the way to overcome it.

Regards,

Arber

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Any updates on this?

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 8:25 AM

It will be at least a week as our developer is on holiday!

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:05 AM

how about now?

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Project development staff are returning at the end of this week.  We plan to meet Friday to discuss solutions.  Thanks for the continued interest!

-

Marc

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM

We are reviewing the work items needed to return the Facebook Personal Network Importer to functionality.

Look for an updated release by September 10th (if all goes well)!

Regards,

Marc

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Thanks for the update - will tune back in on the 10th.

TG

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Hello,

The new version is online and the "resource limit" bug is fixed.

Regards,

Arber

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Doesn't seem to be fixed as I'm having the same problem as the OP.

Have Facebook introduced yet more limits?

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I downloaded the new version last night and ran it - seemed to work ok for me.  ~470 nodes and 2700 edges if that's a gauge of any size limit.  Thanks for fixing it - for me at least :-)

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Any error details you can share?  We would like to hunt down the problem!

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM
marcsmith wrote:

Any error details you can share?  We would like to hunt down the problem!

I get the below error even when 'name' is the only option selected

SocialNetImporter
The network couldn't be obtained. If the problem persists please copy the following message and report it to http://socialnetimporter.codeplex.com/discussions. 

Details:

[FacebookAPIException]: This API call could not be completed due to resource limits

at Facebook.FacebookAPI.CallFQLMultiquery(Dictionary`2 queries, Dictionary`2 args)

at Facebook.FacebookAPI.ExecuteFQLMultiquery(Dictionary`2 queries)

at Smrf.NodeXL.GraphDataProviders.Facebook.FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.GetFriendsNetworkInternal(String sAccessToken, Boolean includeMe, Boolean getStatusUpdates, Boolean getWallPosts, Dictionary`2 attributes) in D:\NEO\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\NetworkAnalyzers\Facebook\FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.cs:line 515

at Smrf.NodeXL.GraphDataProviders.Facebook.FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.BackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) in D:\NEO\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\NetworkAnalyzers\Facebook\FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.cs:line 1525

at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
OK 

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Hello,

Have you downloaded the latest version (1.5)? the download link is http://socialnetimporter.codeplex.com/downloads/get/484243

Regards,

Arber

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM
arber wrote:

Hello,

Have you downloaded the latest version (1.5)? the download link is http://socialnetimporter.codeplex.com/downloads/get/484243

Regards,

Arber

yes, this error is from v1.5 beta.

I must also add that I get no errors importing from my personal Facebook (aprox 150 friends) network and I do get errors when importing from our business Facebook account (which has aprox 2000 friends).

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Hello,

Have you replaced also the SocialNetImporter.pdb file? This file is needed in order to get the correct error message and from the exception message that you posted it seems that it is not the correct one (or the SocialNetImporter.dll is not copied correctly).

Can you please check?

Regards,

Arber

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Hi, 

Manually deleted three files in C:\Program Files\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template\PlugIns to reflect those in the package and copied the new files from new package into plugins folder - error:

---------------------------SocialNetImporter---------------------------The network couldn't be obtained. If the problem persists please copy the following message and report it to http://socialnetimporter.codeplex.com/discussions. 

Details:

at Facebook.FacebookAPI.CallFQL(String query, Dictionary`2 args)
   at Facebook.FacebookAPI.ExecuteFQL(String query)
   at Smrf.NodeXL.GraphDataProviders.Facebook.FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.GetFriendsNetworkInternal(String sAccessToken, Boolean includeMe, Boolean getStatusUpdates, Boolean getWallPosts, Dictionary`2 attributes) in C:\Users\arber.ceni\Dropbox\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\NetworkAnalyzers\Facebook\FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.cs:line 507
   at Smrf.NodeXL.GraphDataProviders.Facebook.FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.BackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) in C:\Users\arber.ceni\Dropbox\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\NetworkAnalyzers\Facebook\FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.cs:line 1533
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)---------------------------OK   ---------------------------

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I have done the same (for v.1.5 beta). My FB net is 567 friends. The error message is:

---------------------------SocialNetImporter---------------------------

Details:

in Facebook.FacebookAPI.CallFQL(String query, Dictionary`2 args)
   in Facebook.FacebookAPI.ExecuteFQL(String query)
   in Smrf.NodeXL.GraphDataProviders.Facebook.FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.GetFriendsNetworkInternal(String sAccessToken, Boolean includeMe, Boolean getStatusUpdates, Boolean getWallPosts, Dictionary`2 attributes) in C:\Users\arber.ceni\Dropbox\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\NetworkAnalyzers\Facebook\FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.cs:riga 507
   in Smrf.NodeXL.GraphDataProviders.Facebook.FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.BackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) in C:\Users\arber.ceni\Dropbox\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\SocialNetImporter\NetworkAnalyzers\Facebook\FacebookUserNetworkAnalyzer.cs:riga 1533
   in System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
   in System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

OK   

NB: I have: Excel 2010 & Win 7 64bit (Italian versions)

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Hello,

Thank you for reporting! We are hunting down the problem and will be back as soon as we have more information.

Regards,

Arber

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM

If it can be of any help I've done some experiments with some friends.

Importer 1.5 works well under about 500 friends. Then breaks down.

(but may also depend on how many links between friend there are...)

Cheers

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Hi there!

I have about 2000 friends and even a single field (name or first name) import fails. Sometimes during importing friends of friends data and sometimes when it manages to process all the batches, it just hangs. I am doing a course on Data Analytics and Social Networks and being able to process my own data will be of immense value to me.

Kindly look into this :)

Warm regards,

Kartik.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM

any news on this issue?

Tanks

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Hello everybody,

the error is fixed also for accounts with large friends list (tested on accounts with up to 3295 friends).

To download the latest version (1.6) of the SocialNetImporter please go here http://socialnetimporter.codeplex.com/releases/view/96047

Regards,

Arber

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Nice work, thanks

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Hello,

I am receiving the following error message when downloading a fan page:

The network couldn't be obtained. Details:
[IndexOutOfRangeException]: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Thanks,

Aman