Definition of network types

May 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Hi,

I am new to graph theory. Could you please define a unimodal and bimodal network in the context of facebook. And also tell me how a user-user network is different from a user-post and post-post network. 

Thanks

Bharath

May 14, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Hi bharath12345,

I had the same question some weeks ago and found no explaination on CodePlex/ NodeXL.

In my opinion the terms mean the following:

• user-user-network: here you create a network which only visualizes relations between users without any regard of the page post/ wall post (which is not visualized). This network helps to identify the best networker of your page, i.e. the person with the highest rate of vertices.
  • user-post-network: here you create a network which always relates the users to the postings. So the page posts are in the centre of the network you created. This network helps you to identify clusters within the page posts of your page, i.e. there are some page posts on which always the same users commented.
  • post-post-network: here you create a network which only visualizes the relations between the page posts. The users are not visualized. This network helps you to identify page posts on which many users commented twice or more times. The page posts on which only some users without any more vertices commented will be alone-standing in the network.
  • unimodal & bimodal: the following page helped me to understand the problem: http://www.springerlink.com/content/t783525887172461/

Best

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Hello Bharath,

StephanN83 gave a really good definition of the available network types. I would like to add that the uni-modal networks are those networks who contain only one type of node (i.e user-user and post-post networks) and bimodal networks are those networks who contain two types of nodes (user-post network).

Moreover:

The user-user network contains users as nodes and there will exist and edge between them if they have commented in/liked the same page post.

The post-post network contain only post nodes and there will exist an edge between them if they share one or more commenters/likers

The user-post network contains user nodes and post nodes. There will be and edge between a user and a post if the user has commented/liked the post

I hope this helps

Regards,

Arber