Importing other persons Facebook Friends list

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:54 AM
Edited Nov 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Per Tony and Marc's suggestion, I am reposting this question here (originally posted on the main NodeXL discussion board).

How can I easily import the Facebook Friends list/data belonging to someone other than myself?  I want to compare the Friends Lists of several other users that are not my own Facebook Friends.  The NodeXL Importer (and other similar products) will only import my own Friends list.  Is this possible?

I am not attempting to grab any information that any given Facebook (FB) user is not already sharing publicly.  Many (if not most) FB users share their list of FB Friends.  This "publicly" available list will provide, at a minimum, their FB Friends' name (profile name), URL to their FB page, and user photo.  This is the only data I'm looking to capture (Profile Name, URL to their FB page, and URL to their user photo); essentially, this is information I have already acquired simply by visiting that person's Friends list.  I am not looking into acquiring anything deemed surreptitious.  I am simply trying to find out how to import this information into a table (without having to go through the tedious work of copying/pasting each and every single URL from FB into Excel).

Using this info, I am able to create Excel tables that compare the list of FB friends for many users, which will help us to draw connections as to how certain people are connected (especially when any given two users are not direct Friends, but share certain Friends in common).

I've tried using the import feature in Excel and pointing it to a given FB user's Friends list URL, but Excel does not or cannot recognize the list of Friends as a table for converting.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Hello,

Actually this is not possible with the current version of our spigot. I am not sure if it is possible at all. Even if you can see some public information through Facebook, it is not always possible to do the same thing through Facebook API and that might also be the case of friends list. However, we will consider this new option and if we conclude that people can profit from this and not misuse it (this leads to a big privacy issue) we can include it in the future releases.

Best regards,

Arber

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the response.

As a workaround, I've simply been copying the entire list and then pasting into Excel, but 1. it gets to be a bit messy and 2. I'm not getting the friend URLs nor the image URLs.

Again, I appreciate the help.

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Has there been any update in this? I would like to be able to compare friends lists as well. Are there any workarounds that you know of?

Thank you!
Nov 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Hello!

I join to last question of abaumann062.

And there are any updates in Facebook politics or Facebook API, to get a list of friends of friends?
Of two randomly selected users, or members of an any open community (Page or Group).

Thank you!
May 25, 2014 at 8:10 AM
Hi there!

Any updates on this topic? Any help would be much appreciated, even workarounds.

Cheers,
José